Contracting and Compliance

Q) Why do I need a contract?

A) A formal contract articulates a department’s expectation for a purchase and provides the department and the University with recourse if those expectations are not met. A formal contract also locks in prices for future purchases.

Q) How do I know what contracts are available and where can I find them?

A) For Purchasing contracts, visit: http://purchasing.uconn.edu/uconn-contracts/ for a complete listing of available contracts.

Q) How can I find the status of a contract that is being worked on?

A) The status of all contracts in the Contracting process is available at http://contracting.uconn.edu/contract-status. You will need to use your Net ID to access the report and the report should not be shared.


Construction/Facilities Operations

Where can I find construction/project related bid results?

A) Please go to www.cpca.uconn.edu

Click on “Construction” and in the drop box, click on “Construction Current Opportunities”

Find the Project that you are looking for either by the Project Numbers listed on the left side of this form or by finding the project name.

Under the project name, click on “Bid Results” which will be available if they have been posted.  If they are not there, you are request to check back at a later time.

Q) How do I become prequalified for construction projects?

A) All construction projects valued at $500,000 and over required prequalification on a per project basis.   All projects and on-call commodities requiring prequalification are posted on the CPCA website at: http://www.cpca.uconn.edu and all project numbers are clickable links to the required paperwork.

Q) What documentation is needed for the purchase of a facility related facility related service?

A) A quotation from the vendor, that includes: The contract # (if applicable), estimated labor hours and hourly rate, estimated cost of materials to be used, subcontractor and equipment rental quotes, if applicable, should be attached, and % of markup on materials, equipment and subs. This will expedite the processing of Purchase Orders and Invoices.


HuskyBuy FAQs

Q) What is e-Procurement?

A) Electronic procurement – generally known as eProcurement – is the automation and management of the procurement-to-payment process. It involves creating and approving purchase requisitions, placing purchase orders, receiving goods and services, and processing invoices online.

Q) If I have a question about how to use HuskyBuy, who do I contact?

A) If you need to know how to navigate HuskyBuy or any of the supplier punch-out sites, please call 486-2BUY (2289).

Q) If a company is a non-profit, do they still have a FEIN number?

A) Yes. Every non-profit must have FEIN.

Q) How do I view the vendor’s copy of the purchase order?

A) A Purchase Order is only available for Non-Catalog purchase orders. In KFS, click on Shop Catalogs. Click on the third icon on the left side of the screen and select Search Documents.


Enter the PO# and click GO. Then click on the PO#. You will see a screen that has tabs beginning with Status, click on the Revisions tab. Then Click on the Fax PO option. This will display the purchase order.

Q) Why do I get this error message when I process a requisition: ‘requisition did not become an APO because requisition total is greater than APO limit?’

A) This message will appear in the Notes and Attachments tab of your requisition if your purchase request is not an APO.  This is simply a system generated message – this does not mean your requisition failed. This means that your purchase order request has been routed to Purchasing for processing.

Q) How do I request a change to a purchase order?

A)  Send an email to the appropriate Purchasing Agent/Purchasing Assistant with your detailed request inclusive of PO#.

Q) How do PO (Purchase Order) and PSA (Personal Service Agreement) payments get entered and paid?

A) Accounts Payable is responsible for entering invoices against Purchase Orders and Personal Service Agreements. If you receive an invoice directly from the vendor, please put the PO/PSA number on the invoice, and forward to A/P – they will enter a Payment Request against the PO or PSA. Once the Payment Request is entered, the FO will get an Approval Request in their Action List.

Q) How can I tell if a Purchase Order Vendor has been paid?

A) On any of the documents in the Purchasing/Accounts Payable string (Requisition, Purchase Order, Receiving, and Payment Request), there is a tab called “View Payment History.” This tab will provide detailed information about the payments made to this vendor against this particular Purchase Order.

Q) Could you tell me how I can check in KFS the total spend for a vendor? 

A) Other than a complex report which Procurement Service has developed, there is no easy way to obtain total spend by vendor in KFS. Please contact Procurement Services for assistance should you have questions on a particular vendor.

Q) How do I know my PO expired?

A) There is no system-generated notification that your PO has expired. Go Custom Document Searches, under Purchasing/Accounts Payable, select Purchase Orders.   Enter your PO# in the Purchase Order# field and click Search. Click on the Document/Notification ID # in the Search results. The term of the PO should be noted in the Description field on the Items Tab and/or in the End Date on the Payment Info tab.

Q) How do I know when to renew my purchase order and how?

A) Instructions are issued by Procurement Services prior to the opening of the next fiscal year.

Q) How to get a report that lists all current year renewable orders that may require a new FY16 order

A) In the Kuali Financial Data Mart under Standard Financial Reports > Standard Reports > Purchasing

There is a report called Recurring Purchase Orders. This report can be run by a variety of criteria and will provide a list of current year renewable purchase orders.

Q) What is the difference between the Final Delivery and the Receiving Address?

A) Receiving addresses are required on all Requisitions / Purchase Orders. The Final Delivery field is the name of the building you are located in. The Receiving Address is where the product is being delivered. The complete receiving address consists of the receiving address entered in the receiving address field, the Room# entered into the Final Delivery field and the Delivery To name also entered on the Delivery tab.

If a receiving address is not entered, KFS will allow you to continue to submit your requisition; however the Purchase Order Status will be “Error occurred sending cxml”. This means that the PO did not transmit successfully to HuskyBuy for electronic distribution to the vendor. At this point, the document cannot be modified or corrected and must be Voided in KFS. The end user will have to resubmit a new requisition with the receiving address populated.

Q) How can I find a vendor that was previously in FRS in KFS?

A) Using Vendor Lookup, you can either search using the vendor’s name (or part of the name), or you can enter the FRS FULL VENDOR NUMBER in the Kuali VENDOR NAME The “V” must be capitalized. For example: V0000061441. For this example, you could also enter *61441* to get the same results.


Procurement Services FAQs

Q) What are the groups that compose Procurement Services and what do they each do?

A) Procurement Services is composed of three groups: Capital Projects & Contract Administration (CPCA), Purchasing, and Contracting & Compliance. Please see each group’s website for a detailed explanation of their respective roles. But, in broad strokes, their primary roles are: CPCA procures goods and services for construction and other capital needs; Purchasing procures all other goods and services needed to support the University’s teaching, research, and operational needs; and Contracting & Compliance develops the contracts that result from CPCA and Purchasing’s respective procurements.


Purchasing FAQs

Q) How do I know which method is appropriate for ordering/paying for my purchase?

Type What is it? When should I use it?
Purchase Orders
  • Catalogue (HuskyBuy)
  • Non-catalogue (KFS) transactions
  • Purchase of Goods & Services
  • Preferred method for ordering
  • Method of purchasing low dollar value purchases from vendors that accept credit cards
  • Purchase of low dollar transactions or if the items cannot be purchased through HuskyBuy
Disbursement Vouchers
NOTE: Processed by AP
  • A payment mechanism for goods/services that have already been delivered to the University up to $2K per vendor per calendar year
  • When the use of HuskyBuy or Pro Card is not possibleE.g. – Payments to other universities, real estate payments, professional services, journals, periodicals, etc.

Q) How do I find Procard transactions that need to be reallocated?

A) Go to the main menu under Custom Document Searches click on Financial Transactions.   Change before and after. Click “detailed search.” Click on route status of “enroute.” Click “Search.” type to “PCDO.” Under Document Description field type the cardholder’s last name with an asterisk

This will bring up all transactions by cardholder name that are enroute because they either need to be reallocated; or they have been reallocated but are still awaiting fiscal officer approval.  To see whose action list they are in – the reconciler or the fiscal officer– take a look at the route log under “Pending Action Requests.” The Annotation will either say “KFS-FP Procurement Card Reconciler” or “KFS-SYS Fiscal Officer UC…..”

Q) What is the role of a Strategic Sourcing Specialist and how do they help with my purchase?

A) The Strategic Sourcing Specialist assists the buyer and the end user to create the most advantageous result possible for the University. Their specific tasks may include drafting Scopes of Work, performing market and peer institutional research and conducting pricing analysis of proposer responses.

Q) What is the appropriate use of the UConn Logo?

A) UConn prohibits the use of the UConn logo without express permission from the University, including use of the UConn wordmark.  Additionally, the Husky Dog logo is the official logo for UConn Division I sports teams and is reserved primarily for athletic uniforms and related retail merchandise.  Trademark and licensing approval is required for anyone desiring to include any UConn logo in association with firm’s respective product(s).  Prior to using the UConn logo, interested vendors must first apply for, and obtain, a license through The Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC) as outlined in the University’s policy found at http://www.uconnhuskies.com/Trademark-Licensing-and-Branding.html.